2019-2020 Catalog

Special Programs - Undergraduate

Assessment of Prior Learning

Rhode Island College makes every effort to acknowledge college-level learning that has taken place outside of formal college classrooms.

The college has instituted a procedure for granting undergraduate credit for prior college-level learning achieved through experience, such as employer-sponsored or armed service-sponsored training, community service, self-education, relevant work assignments or artistic development. Limited credit will be granted only for documented learning that is clearly germane to the student’s degree program, not for experience per se. The basis for granting credit will be a portfolio of documentation prepared by the student with the guidance of the college.

The college accepts the results of the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and armed services testing programs (DANTES) and makes use of the guide prepared by the American Council on Education (ACE) and other sources that contain evaluations of a wide variety of training opportunities sponsored by the armed services, business, industry and labor communities.

Returning adult students, especially those who have been in the armed services, who have participated in apprenticeship or other extensive training programs, or who have held positions of responsibility, are encouraged to apply for assessment of their prior learning. Applications are available in the offices of the academic deans.

Certificate of Undergraduate Study (C.U.S.)

Certificate programs of undergraduate study are offered in the following areas:

Continuing Education

Rhode Island College offers a wide range of continuing education options in cooperation with campus and community partners. Programs serve adult students; children, families and community members; working professionals in the private and public sectors and candidates for undergraduate and graduate CE degrees and certificates.

Workforce development programs are available through Outreach Programs and the Office of Professional Studies and Continuing Education offers credit and non-credit academic and enrichment courses and programs.

The continuing education offices provide partners with assistance to develop and deliver programs and with identifying college resources that support personal enrichment and professional development activities. Rhode Island College has a long history of providing such assistance to business and industry and of assisting public and private schools and agencies. For more information, contact the director of professional studies and continuing education.

For returning adult students, a schedule of college course offerings, which includes information on registration and fees, is available online at www.ric.edu. For formal admission to an undergraduate program and for information on possible transfer credit, applicants should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Applicants interested in pursuing graduate work should contact the appropriate dean. Individuals with teacher certification questions or those seeking to complete professional teaching requirements should contact the dean of the Feinstein School of Education and Human Development.

National Student Exchange Program

The National Student Exchange Program enables undergraduate students to study for up to one academic year at one of up to 200 colleges or universities in another part of the United States. In addition to the academic opportunities made possible by studying on another campus, the program offers social and cultural experiences to further self-exploration and the enrichment of educational objectives.

In order to qualify for participation, a student should (1) be a full-time student at Rhode Island College, (2) be in their sophomore or junior year during the exchange, and (3) have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at the time their application is submitted.


Participation in the Army Reserve Officer’s Training Corps (ROTC) program is available to Rhode Island College students through the ROTC program at Providence College. For more information and a complete program description, contact the program director at Providence College, (401) 865-2471.

Specialization in Adapted Physical Education

See Physical Education.

Study Abroad

Rhode Island College students, no matter what their majors, may study abroad for course credit at institutions in other countries. They may study for a semester, an academic year, the summer or during the early spring term.

While studying abroad, students do not pay RIC tuition and may apply their financial aid to program costs, including tuition, at the host institution and toward travel expenses.

The choice of program and specific location depend upon the student’s interests. The Study Abroad Office provides information about the study abroad process, assists students with their applications and facilitates transfer of credits.

Rhode Island College is affiliated with six study abroad program providers that offer discounted tuition for RIC students: Academic Programs International, the American Institute for Foreign Study, the Center for International Studies, the Education Abroad Network, CAPA International Education and SIT Study Abroad. All of these providers can be found on the Web. However, students are not limited to these affiliates and may study with many other programs and universities around the world. Also, individual faculty members may lead RIC courses abroad from time to time.

Students interested in studying abroad are encouraged to review the information available on the RIC Study Abroad website at ric.edu/studyabroad and to meet with the director of Study Abroad.

Summer Sessions

Summer Sessions provides degree and nondegree undergraduate and graduate students access to a comprehensive cross section of courses in two six-week sessions each summer. Traditional and intensive courses are offered to accelerate and maximize college study and many courses are designed specifically for personal enrichment or professional advancement. For information, contact the director of professional studies and continuing education.