Severe Intellectual Disabilities (SID) C.G.S.
- A completed application form accompanied by a fifty-dollar nonrefundable application fee.
- One copy of all official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework.
- An initial or professional license as a teacher of students with mild/moderate disabilities (Elementary/Middle Special Education Teacher, Grades K-8; Middle/Secondary Special Education Teacher, Grades 7-12)
- Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum cumulative grade point aver-age of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale in professional coursework.
- Three candidate reference forms accompanied by three letters of recommendation related to education and experience in special education or a related field). Submitted at http://RICreference.org/.
- A performance based evaluation that documents the candidate’s experience with individuals with disabilities.
- Applicants must provide a statement describing their daily contact with students with severe intellectual disabilities.
- An application essay that describes the candidate’s commitment to the field of Special Education with a focus on students with severe intellectual disabilities. Also addressed within the essay: cultural awareness, collaboration, and lifelong learning (see application form link above for details).
A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale in all C.G.S. course work.
|SPED 435||Assessment/Instruction: Young Students with SID|
|SPED 436||Assessment/Instruction: Older Students with SID|
|SPED 520||Young Adults in Nonschool Settings|
|SPED 526||Assessment, Curriculum, Methods for Children with Multiple Disabilities|
|Offered spring (even years).
|SPED 665||Teaching Internship in Severe Intellectual Disabilities|
|Offered fall and spring.
Total Credit Hours: 20